Sunday, August 26, 2007

Got a Buzz On?


There have been several attempts at "debunking" the evidence in this video, mostly based on the notion that what is seen is water vapor. However, if you watch the video carefully, you will note that this is just a "scientific-sounding" obfuscation. The tooth is initially wet (perhaps) but the vapor increases whenever there is any rubbing or scraping of the tooth... NOT when more water is introduced.
Mercury is a toxic metal that "short circuits" the brain, inducing autism, ADHD, and other neurological degenerative diseases and disorders.
Mercury is also found in vaccines, shellfish, and tuna.
Mercury has become a contaminant of great concern. Mercury is found in the air, waterways, lakes, and the ocean. It is released into the air by the combustion of coal for electricity, and may be transported from the air to soil and water by rain. The mercury in urban storm water sediment results in part from improperly discarded fluorescent lights, electrical switches, thermometers, other mercury-containing devices, and historical and ongoing industrial activities.

Methyl mercury is more hazardous to humans and other animals than elemental mercury. We do not know all the sources of methyl mercury, but evidence suggests that methyl mercury escapes landfills into the air. It is suspected that this is primarily due to chemical modification by bacteria which converts elemental mercury disposed in landfills to methyl mercury.

Mercury readily evaporates, and mercury is readily absorbed into your body when you touch it. If you are near enough to touch mercury, as after a mercury thermometer breaks, you are most likely also inhaling mercury. (See the links to the Broken Mercury Thermometer Video below.) In humans, mercury vapor affects the nervous system, lungs, kidneys, skin, and eyes. In waterways, mercury builds up in fish tissue and increases in concentration as it is transferred along the food chain. Mercury that has accumulated in fish tissue is passed on to wildlife and to humans. Mercury can have a permanent impact on fetal and child development.

The California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) has issued health advisories to fishers and their families giving recommendations on how much of the fish in these areas can be safely eaten. OEHHA also provides advice to the general public so people can continue to eat fish without putting their health at risk. See Methylmercury in Sport Fish: Information for Fish Consumers.

No comments: